The mountain resort Paltinis, initially called in German "Hohe Rinne", was built by the Carpathian Association of Tourists from Transylvania (Siebenbürgischer Karpathenverein - S.K.V.) in collaboration with the village of Cristian (former "Grossau"). In 1891, the community of Cristian offered S.K.V. for free the land and all the necessary wood material needed for the first buildings. S.K.V. provided the financial resources for the project, receiving thus the right for administration and free use of the chalets for 50 years (between 1891-1941).
Among the founders of the Hohe Rinne resort, a major contribution had attorney Ph.D. Carl Conradt, the first National President of S.K.V., the military doctor General Ph.D. Julius Pildner von Steinburg, the one who suggested the construction of this resort, and the financial inspector Robert Gutt, President of S.K.V. Sibiu and the one who managed the development of the resort in the first years.
A special role had also Michael Höprich, the mayor of Grossau, and Gustav Conrad, chief-ranger in Grossau, the author of the buildings project and of the whole complex, as well the person who suggested the location in which Paltinis was built. We must also mention serban Cruciat, the one who led the team of Romanian carpenters from Rasinari.
Private persons and institutions - most of them Saxons, but not only - donated important amounts of money. Emperor Franz Joseph himself supported this noble initiative by donating, in his name and also on behalf of the Prince heir Franz Ferdinand, the sum of 300 florins. Carl Conradt contributed with 300 florins, Julius Pildner von Steinburg donated 110 florins and the Albina Bank of the Romanians from Transylvania sustained the project with 1,000 florins.
It is worth mentioning the special personal sacrifice of Carl Conradt, who guaranteed with his own properties the loans taken by S.K.V. from the banks in Sibiu. In his memory, S.K.V. built in 1902 on the Oncesti Peak an Observatory that bears his name. Today, only the observatory's foundation exists.
The total cost of the construction up until the launch event in June 10th, 1894, was significantly high for those times, reaching more than 45.200 florins, close in value to 100 kg of gold.
The German name of the resort was given by the Hohe Rinne spring which can be found even today at about 10 minutes walking from our hotel and from where the "Hohe Rinne" water comes, offered from the house to our guests in the Conradt Restaurant and in the Gutt Café. The name of the resort was later changed into Paltinis, name given by the mountain peak situated nearby, famous for its sycamore maples (paltin in Romanian).
Paltinis was the first mountain resort built in the Romanian Carpathians and, at that time, the highest resort in the Carpathians (1,448 m), presently being the second highest mountain resort in Romania.
The construction of the first buildings started in 1892. Among them you can find today the historical monuments "Casa de Cura Hohe Rinne" ("Kurhaus auf der Hohen Rinne") and "Casa Monaco". Their architecture was inspired by the chalets in the Austrian Tirol.
The launching event took place on June 10th, 1894. Robert Gutt have addressed the more than 100 guests from the terrace of the main building of the "Kurhaus auf der Hohen Rinne", inviting them to come back every summer as guests and friends of the new resort.
"Casa Turistilor" was built in 1895 and "Doctors House" (Ärzteheim), built by the medical section of the Transylvanian Association for Nature Sciences, opened on June 12th, 1898. None of them exists today.
On July 10th 1898, an association specially created by the officers of the Austro-Hungarian Army built the Military Sanatorium "Franz Joseph" (Franz Joseph Militär-Kurhaus). At the end of the World War I, this was taken over by the Romanian Army.
Until 1926, the resort was only a summer destination, but in the winter of 1912-1913 the first skiers arrived in Paltinis foretelling the successful future of the winter sports in this area.
The resort was reachable by foot, by horse, by waggons and by omnibuses pulled by horses.
In 1942, the touristic complex "Casa de Odihna" (Rest House) was built by the Romanian Army, near the former Military Sanatorium from the Austro-Hungarian times.
Also in 1942, at the end of the 50 years from the construction agreement, S.K.V. lost the auction for renewing the contract in favour of the University of Cluj.
"Casa Turistilor" was opened in 1963 in the memory of the beautiful wooden chalet built in 1895 and demolished in 1960. Its name was kept for almost half a century.
During 2008-2012, "Casa Turistilor" went through a large process of expansion and modernisation co-financed by the European Union though the European Fund for Regional Development, funding obtained with the Regional Operational Program of the Ministry of Regional Development and Tourism.
In 2013, the name of the resort was changed into Hohe Rinne Paltinis Hotel & Spa.
Thank you for choosing to be our guests at Hohe Rinne Paltinis Hotel & Spa and we wish you a pleasant stay.